Excused Absence Request
The STARS system is a process for requesting and documenting absences. The Office of Academic and Student Affairs manages this process, but the decision to excuse an absence is generally made by the Instructor(s) of Record, based on the attendance policy for individual courses.
In order for your absence to be considered excused, the Excused Absence Request Form must be completed. Supporting documentation must be submitted as soon as possible. Faculty members will be notified of your absence when the form is completed, but approval is tentative until all documentation has been received.
When your Excused Absence Request Form is submitted, it will be forwarded to instructor(s) identified in the request. If you will be missing a required event (quiz, exam, case study, etc.) you must also contact the individual faculty member directly to alert them. Excused absences (and the ability to make up a required event) are ultimately approved by the faculty.
Please contact KatieWadas-Thalken [at] creighton [dot] edu (Dr. Katie Wadas-Thalken), Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs, if you do not receive a response to your request within three (3) working days.
Excused Absence Request Form
The excused absence request form must be completed as soon as an absence is anticipated or occurs. The form allows a student to quickly enter information and attach files (picture, PDF, Word document, URL) for documentation purposes. You may submit a request and share documentation later.
Excused absences will only be considered for the following reasons:
- Bereavement: Immediate family only (student’s spouse, parents, siblings, children, grandparents, father/mother-in-law, son/daughter-in-law, or grandchild). One day allowance for local funeral and three day allowance for out-of town.
- Documentation: Obituary, funeral announcement, funeral program
- Emergency (Non-Health): Automobile accident, severe weather including tornadoes and hurricanes, flood, fire, snow/ice, mudslide, extended loss of electrical power, loss of Internet connectivity
- Documentation: Local media reports, photograph of damage, documentation from utility company or internet-service provider
- Health (Personal): Verified illness or hospitalization
- Documentation: Note from physician verifying illness or hospitalization required
- Health (Immediate Family): Immediate family members (as listed above) with terminal or acute illness or scheduled surgery; students will not receive excused absence for missed class or examination because child/dependent care is not available
- Documentation: Note from physician as appropriate
- Jury Duty/Court Summons
- Documentation: Copy of summons
- Military Duty: Deployment for two consecutive days or less may be considered excused. Note: longer deployment should be handled through a leave of absence request.
- Documentation: Military orders
Religious Holidays: Students wishing to request consideration of a religious holiday as an excused absence from didactic (classroom/laboratory) coursework must submit a STARS (Student Tracking and Retention System) request within 7 business days of the first day of class. Note: Please be aware that excused absence requests in the clinical setting may not be able to be accommodated due to patient care needs or facility scheduling limitations.
Documentation: Please identify the holiday in the “Student Comments” section
- University/School Approved Activity: Attending school sanctioned professional conferences, scholarly competitions, student forums and educational programs
- Documentation: Verification from advisor, faculty moderator, student organization president
- Weather: Local conditions could prohibit attendance at scheduled courses or examinations
- Documentation: Verification from testing/proctoring site
- Other: Absence requests for any other reason will be granted at the discretion of the Instructor of Record, as directed by the course syllabus. A STARS request should be filled out, and supporting documentation may be required.
Documentation options include:
- Take a photo with your tablet camera.
- Scan a copy.
- Save the document if in electronic format to your computer and attach it when completing the form.
Tips and Tricks
- If there is a required event that you will miss (exam, cases, quiz, etc.), you must contact the IOR directly to alert them. Excused absences are ultimately approved by the faculty.
- Documentation must match days/dates missed; days can’t just be added to the original entry.
- Submit one entry for multiple days if it includes the same event.
- Complete missed course information must be included in the entry with course and instructor of record listed.
- Submit an entry in advance of a known or scheduled meeting or event; not after the meeting or event has occurred.